Tuesday, May 18, 2010

on graduation

I am a sociology major. I love sociology, I live sociology, I breathe sociology, I see it everywhere and in everything. I have learned sociology. My life is sociology and I love it.

Top things I've learned in sociology.
1. life is unfair.
2. everyone is crazy and weird but whatever society you grew up in thinks its okay. you're fine.
3. white men rule the world, and probably always will. If you're a minority women - you're screwed.
4. sociology has given me a heart; made me empathetic; taught me to walk in other people's shoes and want to listen to their stories and give value to every voice.
5. women have internalized their oppression so much that most don't even know it
4. question everything. media, books, images, words, everything you take in. What is the bias? What is the motivation? No one and no thing is objective. Question everything. Question reality.
5. everyone wants control.
6. theory is foundation.
7. Tibetan buddhists got it right. If I ever go to Tibet, I doubt I'll return.
8. no matter how you look at it, we're greedy. people commit suicide when times are good because they can't get happy enough.
9. people are animals, we only pretend not to be (relate to number 2)
10. believe in yourself. your experience is the only one that matters. everyone lives in their own world and you are just a part of some one else's and they are yours. believe and follow your heart.

"A mind that questions everything, unless strong enough to bear the weight of its ignorance, risks questioning itself and being engulfed in doubt. If it cannot discover the claims to existence of the objects of its questioning -- and it would be miraculous if it so soon succeeded in solving so many mysteries -- it will deny them all reality, the mere formulation of the problem already implying an inclination to negative solutions. But in so doing it will become void of all positive content and, finding nothing which offers it resistance, will launch itself perforce into the emptiness of inner revere." Emile Durkheim

No comments:

Post a Comment